The medical records manager role is a full-time position that assists in the collection, tracking, and processing of medical records from health care providers for the nurse reviewers, medical liability analysts (MLAs), and attorneys.
DEPARTMENT: Claims – Medical Records
REPORTS TO: Medical Records Manager
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Requesting Medical Records
- Communicates with MLAs, attorneys, and their staff concerning the status of medical records collection as well as the status of releases/court orders and lists of health care providers from which to request copies of medical records.
- Obtains the necessary HIPAA compliant releases and Court orders to request medical records.
- Researches health care provider addresses as required to support record collection.
- Prepares formal request letters to health care providers for collection of medical records.
- Initiates follow-up on initial records requests with phone calls and written correspondence as needed to support timely records collection.
- Enters records information into electronic tracking systems once they are received.
- Maintains narrative notes regarding details of each medical records collection process.
- Initiates Information Sheet for Identification and Processing of each individual record.
- Initiates electronic workflow data chain for each medical record received.
- Enters invoice information into electronic billing system for each record received.
- Repeats the collection process when additional records are required in each case.
- Requests updated authorizations/Court Orders for each case as needed.
- Copies and /or obtains copies of radiology films/CDs to be sent to attorneys and expert reviewers as requested.
- Approves attorney web access and submits a request to open access.
- Initiates electronic database on all new cases.
- Maintains electronic record tracking of collection process on all cases.
- Email communications with Nurse Reviewers, Nurse Medical Records Manager, Medical Records staff, MLAs, attorneys, and paralegals regarding medical record activity.
- Verbal and written communication with medical records custodians of health care providers.
- Assists in manual copying of records as requested.
- Scans additional information into the case database as requested.
- Provides front desk phone/switchboard relief for lunch and breaks as scheduled.
- Assists with nurse reviewer and managerial administrative work as needed.
- Cross-orientation with other departmental positions as required by caseload.
- Maintains complete confidentiality regarding all aspects of the medical record information.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED is required. Business or paralegal education is preferred.
- Experience in the secretarial field is preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of Word and Excel is strongly preferred.
- Prefer typing speed of at least 65 wpm.
- Transcription experience is highly desirable.
- Proficient computer skills (good working knowledge of Windows, Word, Excel, and Outlook).
- Excellent oral & written communication skills, including proper grammar usage required.
- Professionalism, excellent phone skills, and ability to accurately relay detailed phone messages required. Prefer experience working with professionals.
- Familiarity with general medical terminology is desirable.
- Good organizational skills and ability to work with little supervision required.
- Strong accuracy and attention to detail are required.
Professional office environment. Contact with medical office staff, member insureds, attorneys, and the general public. May deal with angry or upset people. A multi-task position requiring strong attention to detail.
|KAMMCO is a member-directed medical professional liability insurance company providing protection for physicians, hospitals, and other healthcare professionals through superior claims defense, versatile insurance products, innovative services, and unrelenting advocacy.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Upload Your Cover Letter and Resume
Only PDF versions of your cover letter and resume can be uploaded using the form below.